The Sustainability Committee encourages and promotes sustainable practices among the faculty, staff and students of Oakland Community College. By building awareness we
can improve the quality of life now without damaging the planet for the future.
Change it through action: reusable bags, green cleaning agents, paperless meetings
Encourage student engagement and activism for equity and inclusion
Support fair trade practices and local businesses
- The Environment
- Energy Consumption
- Green Facilities
- Green Jobs
- Green Purchasing
- Recycling (Reduce/Reuse/Recycle)
- Food Consumption
Ways OCC Is Already In Action
- Smoke Free: OCC is now a smoke-free college
- Green Planet Water: Our cafeterias and vending machines now offer non-petrochemical-based water bottles from Green Planet
- Recycling: We now have new recycle bins on each campus in several locations
- Green Cleaning Agents: Over the last three years our facilities and maintenance departments have been working toward changing over to green cleaning agents
for use in our janitorial processes. Most of our facilities also have new hand dryers instead of paper towel.
- Carbon Footprint Monitoring: Our carbon footprint is 15,000 tons of CO2 from electricity/year and 11,545 tons of CO2 from natural gas/year.
- Sustainability Programs: Did you know that OCC has several programs and individual classes that focus on sustainability? From our
Certificate in Renewable Energies and Sustainable Living to our classes in
Environmental Science, and Landscape Horticulture we offer many
choices for students interested in sustainability issues.
Ways You Can Help/Get Involved
- Students: Attend Student Government Meetings and join their sustainability efforts
- Faculty, Staff and Administrators: Support the actions of the Collegewide Sustainability Committee. See Infomart under Committees for details of their charge, members and their latest minutes.
- Community: Be informed - click here for a Fact Sheet!