ESL Writing Placement
Is your primary language different than English, or did you grow up speaking English and another language? If so, you must complete a special mini-course—LGAR 1000, ESL Placement Course—through your MyOCC account. Here is some important information before you begin this process:
- Make sure you complete the Mandatory New Student Orientation.
- Check the EXEMPTION LIST below to see if you need to take the placement. If exempt, schedule an appointment with a counselor.
Registering for, completing, and receiving results takes a minimum of 3 business days:
- Day 1 - Register for LGAR-1000, the ESL Placement course.
- Day 2 - Log into D2L and complete the course.
- Day 3 – Get results and contact a counselor.
You must log into MyOCC to register for the ESL Placement course. Once logged in, go to the Students Menu and then ESL Placement to complete your registration.
Completion of this course is mandatory for registration at OCC! This no-cost, non-credit course is intended to place you into the appropriate level of ESL courses and other courses at Oakland Community College.
LGAR 1000 takes an average of one (1) hour to complete, 15 minutes to review the content and 45 minutes to write a timed composition. You will take the course within the OCC Learning Management System, Desire2Learn (D2L). Use your MyOCC username and password to log into D2L.
- Testing will occur Monday through Friday between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm.
- Review this Tip sheet before taking the placement.
- Your placement composition will be read and rated by our ESL faculty.
- Within 24 hours of completing the course, you will receive an email through your OCC email account letting you know your placement results.
- You will then be directed to make an appointment with a counselor.