- Dental hygiene courses are in sequence and must be taken in the order indicated by the dental hygiene prospective for students. A grade of “C” or better must be obtained in each of the dental hygiene courses in order to progress in the program
2. First year students
- Must successfully complete DHY 1250 and DHY1230 and DHY1240 in order to be able to enroll for the Winter Semester.
- DHY 1140 may be failed and the student can continue in the program, but the student must make arrangements with Dr. Robertson to complete the course work with a “C” or better before the completion of Winter Semester.
- Must successfully complete all designated DHY course requirements for the first year i.e., DHY 1281, 1282, DHY 1260, DHY 2210, DHY 1310, DHY 2250, DHY 1350.
- Must score 75% or better on Standard of Care and OSCE Evaluation at the completion of Spring Semester
- Must score 75% or better on the Exit Exam at the completion of DHY 1284
- Failure of any clinical course, DHY 1250, 1281, 1282, 1283, or 1284 results in termination from the dental hygiene program
- Failure of any (2) non-clinical courses such as DHY 1230, DHY 1240, DHY 1260, DHY 2210, DHY 1310, DHY 2250, or DHY 1350 makes the student ineligible to progress to the next level in the program. The student then must sit out (2) selection years prior to returning to the program
Any student who decides to withdraw from the dental hygiene program for personal or academic reasons, should notify the clinic coordinator and the program coordinator at the time of their decision before taking official action.
- A personal interview with the program coordinator must be arranged to complete a form of intention to return or permanently withdraw from the dental hygiene program.
- The student is responsible for reporting to the Registration Office to officially drop a course(s).
- A student who withdraws twice from the dental hygiene program for personal and/or academic reasons WILL BE DISMISSED AND IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR READMISSION.
Each Dental Hygiene course (not including a clinical course) may be repeated once within one calendar year. If the student fails the repeated course, or another course in the same semester, he/she will be dismissed and will not be eligible for re-entry into the dental hygiene program.
RE-ENTRY INTO THE OCC DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM
- If a student is selected into the program, enrolls, but then withdraws before classes begin or early enough for the seat in the program to be replaced, there is no penalty.
- If a student wishes to re-enter, they simply re-designate DHY as their curriculum and they will be selected the next year, based on prior completion date. If a student delays readmission past the five year limit on the science courses, the student must successfully complete the Dental Hygiene Science Review Course with a “C” or better.
- If a student fails a course which is in a sequence that cannot change, the student must sit out two (2) years of selection.
- If a student withdraws from the Dental Hygiene Program for such reasons as personal, health or financial problems, the reason must be put in writing. Re-entry will be granted after sitting out one (1) year of the selection process. The applicant may be called in for a personal re-evaluation with the program coordinator.
Transfer applicants must have official transcripts from previous colleges attended sent to the Office of the Registrar at the George A. Bee Administration Center. Send your official transcripts to:
Oakland Community College
George A. Bee Administration Center
2480 Opdyke Road
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304-2266
Students with questions about the transferability of prior coursework should consult with a counselor before registering.