Travel & Health Insurance

Travel Assistance Coverage

All F-1 students are required to have travel assistance coverage through GeoBlue. The cost for the program will be automatically added to your tuition bill. Coverage is in effect from August 1 to July 31 of each year.

GeoBlue International travel assistance coverage is NOT a health insurance plan. It will NOT pay for hospitalization, doctor bills or medical tests. However, it will provide the following travel assistance benefits for F-1 students and F-1 student dependents:

  • Emergency medical evacuation where adequate treatment is not available near OCC. 
  • Repatriation of mortal remains to home country.
  • Referrals for medical/dental care in the U.S.
  • Emergency travel arrangements

Once our staff have enrolled all students, you may set up your GeoBlue account and access an electronic copy of the ID card on Member Hub. 


International students in the U.S. need health insurance coverage. You have to buy it yourself. OCC does not buy it for you. Remember that health insurance is a cost listed on your I-20 document, so you should have money for it.


Private insurance companies are paid money (premiums) from very large groups of people and individuals. If a member of this group has an accident or illness, the doctor and the hospital bills are paid from the money collected.


You are responsible for your health care bills.

Health care in the U.S. is extremely expensive.  An ambulance ride can be $800. Standard childbirth can be $9,000. If you don't have health insurance, some hospitals and doctors will not treat you, or they will ask for full payment at the time of service. You cannot buy most student health insurance after you are already sick or injured.  The U.S. government does not pay for any health care you need. Nor does OCC.  Remember that you had to show you had money to pay for health insurance before you were given an I-20.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is a U.S. federal government law. However, many student health plans do not have to comply with ACA.


Read all student health insurance brochures very carefully and understand the coverage and exclusions.  With most plans, the premium amount (cost) will vary according to your age.  Student health insurance will NOT cover all of your medical expenses.  If you are a woman, choose a plan with maternity/pregnancy coverage.  Less expensive plans do not include it.  If you have a pre-existing condition (have already been diagnosed with a condition that needs treatment), choose a plan that is ACA compliant. 


Do not go to the hospital emergency room if you have a condition that can be treated at a clinic.  Make sure that you go to providers authorized by your insurer.  Get a flu vaccine each fall.  Plan to have routine care or dental care when you visit your home country.

SUGGESTED PLANS  You may choose whatever plan best suits your needs.  OCC is not endorsing these plans, but only suggesting them.  They are not perfect, but you must buy health insurance!

1.  International Student Insurance

Choose BudgetSelect or Elite coverage, not SmartSmart has minimal benefits and does not cover pregnancy. These plans do have pre-existing condition rules, and some caps on specific types of charges. 

2.  Compass Student Health Insurance

Compass Benchmark and Benchmark Plus have some ACA features like no pre-existing condition rule, some coverage for preventative health care, and no maximum limit the plans will pay. The deductible is annual rather than per sickness/illness. There are some co-pays included.

Do not buy Compass Care. The coverage is very low and does not cover pregnancy.