Income Tax Requirements of F-1 International Students


The U.S. State and Federal governments require you to complete tax forms annually for the previous year.  These forms must be filed or mailed by April 15.


As an F-1 student attending school in the United States, you may need to file taxes with the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

For students who earned an income in 2019, you will may need to file taxes with the State of Michigan

The International Student Office recommends that you speak with a certified tax professional about whether or not you are required to file any documents with the IRS or the State of Michigan. Another resource is to contact the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program for additional assistance.

NOTE: All F-1 students and their F-2 dependents must complete Form 8843 and send it to the Internal Revenue Service, even if they did not work. 

Contact Information

Student services for all F-1 students are offered at:

Royal Oak Campus - Building B, Room 102
Phone 248.246.2563

Our student services staff can assist you with admission and other general inquiries.

We will try to meet your needs as much as possible through e-mail and telephone. E-mail your questions and if an answer cannot be provided by email or telephone, we'll make an appointment.

In addition to assisting you with F-1 immigration regulation issues, we are able to direct you to resources inside the college and in the community to make your stay in the U.S. more enjoyable and to meet your educational goals.