Student Budget

What will it really cost to attend school in the United States?

International students applying for admission to OCC must show proof of financial support for one full year of study. The figures are approximate. Actual costs may be higher or lower depending on your individual circumstances and your program of study.  Remember, off campus work is generally allowed only late in your program for work experience in your program of study. While immigration allows on campus work, there are currently very few student assistant jobs available at OCC.

Tuition and Fees $5,000 (2 semesters)
Health Insurance $2,000 (one year)
 Books $1,000 (one year) 
Living Expenses $11,500 (one year)

Tuition and fees

Tuition is the cost of your classes at OCC. You must bring money for tuition and fees with you because payment for tuition is due in full at the time you register for classes before the beginning of each semester. There is no payment plan.

Books and Supplies

You are responsible for buying all books and supplies that your instructors require for your classes. Buy books at the campus where your class is located. It is not possible for you to share books with other students or borrow them from the library.  Books are very expensive and you may have to pay more or less depending on the courses you are taking.

Living Expenses

Food, housing and transportation costs are very high in the U.S. You will be responsible for finding your own housing. OCC does not have student housing and cannot assist you in locating housing. Many students share apartments with other students to make their housing more affordable. When you find housing you like, you will need to sign a lease (a legally binding agreement to live in at that location for a certain amount of time, usually one year), pay a deposit (usually equal to one month’s rent) and pay your first month’s rent. If your housing costs $600 per month, you will need to have $1200 when you sign your lease. Be aware that once you sign a lease, you must live in the housing for the amount of time stated in the lease. Once you pay a deposit, you cannot get it back until you move out of the housing and return it in good condition.

Contact Information

Student services for all F-1 students are offered at:

Royal Oak Campus - Building B, Room 102
Phone 248.246.2563

Our student services staff can assist you with admission and other general inquiries. Please send your questions to

Since it may be difficult for you to drive to the Royal Oak Campus, we will try to meet your needs as much as possible through email and telephone. Please email your questions first and if an answer cannot be provided by email or telephone, we'll make an appointment.

Aside from assisting you with F-1 immigration regulation issues, we are able to direct you to resources both inside the college and in the community to make your stay in the U.S. more enjoyable and to meet your educational goals. We look forward to working with you!